Monday, September 7, 2009

Callings...

Since I have been in my ward I have served in two callings- Activity days for the 8-11 year old girls and Nursery for the 18 month- 3 year olds. I served in Activity days for almost two years and then they moved me to nursery. I served there for about 9 months. then they moved me back to Activity days. The reasons for moving me were simple. When i was in nursery the had enough kids to have two classes. But at the end of the year when the older kids moved on to sunbeams, there were not enough kids to have two classes. And Callie being the loving child that she is, was a total terror when I was the teacher in her class. And the primary presidency had witnessed this lovely change in her personality. So they decided that for the best interest of the other kids in nursery the would move me back to activity days. I really like activity days because I could enjoy Sunday school and relief society on Sundays. Then a few weeks ago my friend Mimi was called to activity days and I was so excited to be working with her. I talked to her about it and then not two minutes later I was told that I was being released from activity days but they didn't know where I was going to be called. My name was up for a few callings and they were praying about it to see where I should be called. A few weeks went by and I still had not heard any thing. Then about two weeks ago someone in my ward was released from their calling. And then I knew. Up until then I had thought that I would be called to teach primary. I have been serving in a primary calling since I was 18 except for about 6 months when I taught the 15-16 year old Sunday school class. Then on Sunday I was called out of Sunday school to talk with Brother Nickles. I was hold my friends baby and when I walked up to Brother Nickles he said, " Oh good you can't hit me." He knows me well, and knows that I hate talking in front of a group of people. He told me that he knew that I didn't like it and that all he asked was that I pray about it and find the answer myself. And they would understand either way. I looked at him, (he honestly looked a little scared of me) with my heart racing I told him that I didn't need to pray about it because I already knew. He looked at me surprised, and then a little confused. I told him that when my friend had been released I knew that is where I was going to be called. Then he looked relieved. He had even asked Alex first to make sure that I wasn't going to hurt him when he asked me. I'm sorry if I am really that scary. I am totally scared but I know that the Lord let me know that I would be teaching relief society so that I would be able to KNOW that I should except the calling. So at the end of September I will be teaching my first lesson. Hopefully I will not have too many melt downs before then. And hopefully I will get a topic that I know a little about and get it soon so that I can start praying about it. Because I am going to need all the help I can get.

5 comments:

Heather English said...

Lucky! I would love that calling! You'll be great.

Mimi said...

You will do great, I know it!

Emily said...

Congrats! I bet you'll do a great job. I think teaching primary is much harder than teaching Relief Society, since you have to keep the kids focused and entertained.

Janell R. Cropper said...

super exciting! I think I would maybe take teaching Relief Society over teaching Gospel Doctrine. I've been at it for almost a year and still have yet to get used to it!

Shelly said...

Really? You don't want a once a month calling? Talking with women?

I'm doing online seminary, I'd take your job.